Few weeks back, we had seen the best alternative for notepad, charny text editor which is light weight and portable tool too. But when we all use computers daily, we use the default Notepad as text editor. Today let us see how to change the default windows notepad text editor to someother text editor tool.
When ever you try to edit a text file by right click the file, context menu will show and when you click edit file, the default text editor notepad opens up (for image files default paint will open), today let us see how to change the default notepad to some other applications like notepad++ or some other text editor.
1. Open the Windows Registry
2. To open registry, Go to Start > Click Run > Type [regedit] and hit [enter].
3. Locate the following Registry key:
4. Expand the SystemFileAssociations and go to
text\shell\edit\command and on the right side you can find out
5. To change the program that opens when clicking on the Edit option in the right-click menu simply change the path by double clicking the default word. So that it leads to the application that you want to use, for example
"c:\program files\notepad++\notepad++.exe" "%1"
I have changed to notepad ++ .
Try out and if you face any problem, leave your issues in comments section.
Note : I know, it is very easier to just use right-click and say Open With :D
| For a limited time I'm sharing some select Tips and Tricks and How-To Guides for FREE. |