5 Mistakes Which Made Me To Pay High Internet Bills

When I got my Internet broadband connection with limited download/upload usage (2 years back), the first month bill which I paid was 85$ – 3900 Rs. approx. The plan which I choose from my broadband service provider was 500 Rs. plan but I paid for 3900 Rs. So, Often we exceed our limit usage.

Today, we are going to discuss how to limit your usage on broadband connection and Cut down your Internet bills –

I hope all these mistakes which I made will help you and guide you on limited broadband connection. This is only for users who have limited download/upload usage Connection ( like 500 plan or something ) and not for Unlimited Plan.

Mistake No #1

Don’t Forget to Turn off Automatic Downloads – Often we forgot to turn off the automatic updates of many software, which downloads the latest version of that particular software in background eats our usage quota. One of the major thing is Windows Update – So turn off automatic windows update –

How to Turn off Automatic Windows Update ?

1. Click Start > Control Panel > double-click System.
2. Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click Turn off automatic updating

Turn off other automatic updates for softwares like Adobe Reader, Apple Software Update, etc. If we need them, then we should consider to update them manually.

Mistake No #2

We should Know that both surfing and bulk downloading is logged and charged from the free usage quota added to our bill. We may think that browsing some random sites doesn’t include on downloading actually! So we keep on browsing more and more.. We should remember that –

1. In internet usage statistics, we can not separate bulk download data usage [say, downloading a song or some software] and surfing data usage. So both are included to our usage quota.

For Eg : I used to watch lot of YouTube videos. One of the reason to pay high bills, because I cannot say, I have not downloaded anything. Actually I have downloaded the video to watch it in the browser. So, everything which you see in your browser is downloaded first and then its appearing to you.

Mistake No #3

Know the difference between KBps and kbps

When you check your usage statistics, many users consider KBps and kbps are same, but actually both are different.

kbps = Kilo Bits per second;
KBps = Kilo Bytes per second;
8 bits = 1 bytes => 8kb = 1 KB – similarly for mb, MB, gb and GB.

So know the difference and calculate it.

Mistake No #4

Choose Always Zipped Downloading and Uploading of Files. Why to waste a 10 MB of data transfer when you can compress it to 6-7 MB?

1. When you need to download something, check whether an option is there for zipped download, If so go for it.
2. If you need to email something to someone, then always zip that file using regular windows interface.
3. This can save 1-2 MB per 10 MB of download and upload.

Mistake No #5

Turn off your broadband connection, when not in use. so that it can save some amount of data transfer from applications like yahoo messenger and Google talk etc.

The poor thing is, I was not aware of all these mistakes before – Better change to a unlimited usage plan – Enjoy Surfing and Downloading ;-P

I hope all these mistakes which I made will be helpful to you – so that you don’t pay in future and save your internet bills :)

thanks intechgrity.

1. Chethan says:

yep!MBps and Mbps! Quite Confusing! Nice Point

2. Srivathsan GK says:

@chethan – yeah, many times i myself get confuse and ill see the calculations.. PS : Now i'm on UL Plan .. so no worrying :D

3. Avi Singh says:

That's why I always choose Unlimited Internet usage and download Internet connection. beacuse I am the one who paid 6000 Rs per month(one Year back).
    Anyways very nice post.
    and the difference b/w kbps & KBps are new to me……..

4. Srivathsan GK says:

@Avi Singh – Ha ha .. I suppose many have faced this problem :P –

5. Pascal says:

You can add the following

1. Not checking used data limit. I often forget to check whether i have reached my free limit or not.

2. Not using offline tools. You can use outlook and gmail offline attachment facilities to save your data limit.

6. Srivathsan GK says:

@pascal – Yeah.. using offline tools is a good idea .. thank you :)

7. Ramkumar says:

The best option to solve this is to get an Unlimited connection :D

8. Blogging in Web 2.0 Beta says:

Yes When I started Blogging I have limited BSNL plan home 500. For My First Three months I paid app Rs 1500/ Month. Then I switched to Unlimited home 900 Plan with 256 KBPS. Now I am using Airtel Broadband with unlimited Rs 1200/Month with 512 KBPS. Conclusion unlimited is better than best.

9. Siddartha says:

Nice post dude, You have touched a nice point in difference between KBps and Kbps. Lot will think they r same.

10. MariJewel says:

Great info to know especially that this is all about the security of payments made online. Now I know what I need remember especially when it comes to 5 mistakes which made me to pay high internet bills.

11. Harsh Agrawal says:

Nice tips specially the first one. People dont even realize the importance of turning off the automatic updates and by the end they exhaust all their bandwidth

12. Srivathsan GK says:

@Ram Kumar – Yeah, I already got one after I was affected :'(

@blogging in web 2.0 beta – Humm .. but here in my area, airtel has poor service .. so I have bsnl UL 700.. I'm ok with the speed n service ;)

@Siddartha – Yeah, I was one among the lot ..

@MariJewel – HUmm .. thank you and Welcome to Steal-Ideas ;)

@Harsh – Thank you harsh ..

13. gasoline viper says:

Thank you for Your info.

Last year i paid an extra 1000 Rupees for using net continuously(Not aware of these^^.I've think only download cause charge,,and i've seen lot of videos from youtube…)

14. vEnKy says:

I am pretty safe i do bulk downloading when it is unlimited for and forbid youtube during normal. I can proudly say the one year i had my INternet connection so far i have never exceeded my limit. :)

15. Srivathsan GK says:

@gasoline viper – Haa haa .. I'm remembering those wonderful days where I used to watch YouTube videos and my bill goes up :P

16. Srivathsan GK says:

@vEnKy – Macha, you're always an exception :P

17. abhi says:

Are you not using unlimited internet?

18. Srivathsan GK says:

@abhi – yes, I'm using UL internet \m/

19. Arun says:

UL is best :)

20. Swashata says:

Hey buddy, this one is one of my self written articles behind which I have worked really hard! I wish you could have put a back link to the post itself at the beginning of this article! Thanks :)

21. Srivathsan GK says:

@Swashata – I have given the credits already bro =) I know, you have input your hardwork, so only i gave the full credits below =)

22. Swashata says:

Thanks buddy for correcting the links! :)

23. Few weeks back my Friend called me over the phone and asked that his bill is increased and asked reason for that. I asked him how he is using the net. He uses yahoo messenger for video calls and he thought that that is free ( it is not download from his point of view) Later I explained him that how the bandwidth usage is calculated! he got shocked hearing to my words.. :) :)

I will also Say many thinks that Surfing is free and Downloading alone is only charged, but if any site is viewed all the text, pictures are DOWNLOADED to browser Cache! Right from the connect to disconnect of modem every thing is charged. :)